- Why do my smoke detectors
- My smoke detectors sound
every time I take a shower or cook in the kitchen, what can I do?
- Why are house numbers so
- Why do I need a carbon
- I live alone and cannot
change the batteries in my smoke detectors, what should I do?
- I have a fire hydrant on
my property but want to landscape, are there any regulations that would
The reason some smoke detectors "chirp" is due to a
low battery. Most manufacturers have this built in feature that will make the
detector "chirp" once every 30 - 60 seconds when the battery is getting low.
Replacing the battery will usually correct this issue. It is a good idea to
change the batteries twice a year. An easy way to remember this is whenever you
change your clocks for daylight savings, change the batteries in your smoke
detectors. NOTE: Even if you have hardwired smoke detectors, if it
has a battery back-up it will usually have this function.
There are two different types of smoke detectors
available, ionization and photo-electric. Both types are designed to alert you
in the event of a fire but each reacts differently to products of combustion.
Ionization detectors react very quickly and are sensitive to steam and low
amounts of cooking smoke. Photo-electric detectors are less sensitive to these
"nuisance" alarms such as steam and cooking smoke. Any smoke detector installed
within twenty (20) feet of a kitchen or bathroom with a tub/ shower should be a
photo-electric detector. Photo-electric smoke detectors are available in both
battery operated and hard-wired with battery back-up models.
House numbers are the means by which emergency
responders identify your house in the event of an emergency and are required by
law. In the event of a fire we might see the smoke or
fire, but if you need police or emergency medical assistance it will take much
longer to identify your house if there are no house numbers present. Also, we
have to be able to identify your house in the day-time, night-time and in all
different weather situations. House numbers should be a minimum of three inches
in height, posted on the house and a contrasting color to the house. If you
cannot easily see the numbers on the house from the street, another set of
numbers needs to be posted at the street, usually on a mailbox or a post.
Massachusetts Law now requires all residential
occupancies to have carbon monoxide detectors installed if they have a fossil
fuel burning appliance or an attached garage. Fossil fuel burning appliances
are oil and gas burners/ furnaces, woodstoves and pellet stoves just to name a
few. Fossil fuel appliances and motor vehicles produce carbon monoxide as
products of the combustion process. Usually, these products of combustion are
exhausted by a flue pipe or chimney, but if the vent gets blocked in any way,
these gasses may back up into the house. Carbon monoxide is a colorless,
odorless, tasteless gas and cannot be picked up by the human senses. The only
way to determine if carbon monoxide is present is by a carbon monoxide detector
or by a special metering device used by the fire department. Exposure to carbon
monoxide may produce serious health effects or death.
If you cannot change the batteries in your smoke
detectors for health reasons or if you don't feel steady on a stool or ladder
and you have no one to help you, you should call the fire department. If you
call the fire department on the business line and explain your situation, we
would be glad to assist you. When you call we will make an appointment and
based on the size of your house, our visit should last between fifteen and
Fire hydrants are strategically placed to provide
the town with the best water protection available. In the event of a fire, any
one or multiple hydrants may be used to provide water at the fire scene. It is
important that we are able to rapidly identify and operate fire hydrants when
needed. There should be no obstructions in front of the hydrant to the street
and no obstructions three feet all the way around the fire hydrant. This allows
us to identify hydrants rapidly as well as operate them safely.
Francis M. Pulsifer- Fire Prevention Officer
Copyright © 2001 [COMM Fire Department]. All rights reserved.