CapeCodFD.com SPECIAL FEATURE
[ Prev ] [ Features ] [ Next ] (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
Remembering the Past
Old Cape Cod Firehouses page4
Cape Cod's earliest firehouse dates back to the early 1800s. Since then, quite a number
of stations have been built, added to, renovated, closed, sold, torn down, or otherwise retired
from service. This features takes a look back at some of these firehouses and there after life.
Barnstable Municipal Airport Operations building served as the ARFF / Crash station from the
1960s until 1998. It was, and still is, located on the west side of the airport in Hyannis near
the control tower.
The present Hyannis Headquarters was built in 1964 on High School
Road. This 1971 photo shows the 1970 Ford van used as the
ambulance (Rescue 87), the 1965 FWD foam pumper (Engine 82),
the 1968 Thibault 85' aerial ladder truck (Ladder 89), and the
1949 Mack L pumper (Engine 85).
Hyannis Fire Station built c. 1925. This was the Hyannis fire station from 1925 until 1964.
It is located at 44 Barnstable Road at the corner of Elm Street. It is presently an insurance
agency. Photo c. 2003.
Hyannis Fire Station c. 1925. 44 Barnstable Road. Photo c. 2003.
Hyannis Fire Station built c. 1925. The members of the Hyannis fire department
pose in front of the station at 44 Barnstable Road. Photo c. 1950s.
Hyannis Fire Station Barnstable Road.
Hyannis Fire Station 44 Barnstable Road. 1937 General Motors Engine 3.
Hyannis Port fire station was built c. 1930. on Scudder Ave
near Craigville Beach Road.
Hyannis Port Fire Station built c. 1930. on Scudder Ave near Craigville Beach Road.
Photo c. 2002.
Hyannis Port Fire Station built c. 1930. Engine 6 was 1968 FWD / Farrar
pumper was a custom fit in the little firehouse.
Hyannis Fire Station c. 1896. The first fire house in Hyannis was located on
what is presently Center Street, just behind Main Street. This little station
housed the first hand pulled chemical and hose apparatus, as well as this
1880 ladder truck (motorized c. 1924) affectionately known as Esmeralda.
The building became part of Chase Laundry.
Barnstable Fire Station built c. 1935. Local firemen built this station on Main
Street (Route6A) in 1935. It housed these two apparatus including the home-
made fire truck on the 1930s Buick, and the 1935 Mack Engine 1.
Barnstable Fire Station built c 1935. Barnstable's first ladder
truck was purchased in the 1980s. It fit in the low clearance front
door along side the 1965 FWD pumper.
Barnstable Fire Station built c. 1935. The station was added onto in
1974 with three new bays on the rear of the station for larger appratus.
West Barnstable Fire Station built c. 1950s. Located on Route 6A (Main Street), this little
2 bay station housed West Barnstable's 1956 Ford / Bean pumper and 1958 County
brush breaker C14 for years. An ambulance was added in the early 1970s and apparatus
began being housed outside and elsewhere. This station was closed when a new station
was built on Route 149 (2160 Meetinghouse Way) in 1988.
West Barnstable Fire Station. For a period of over a decade, this former "chicken house"
located off Parker Road in West Barnstable served as 'station 2' for WBFD. The 1985
Tanker 296, as well as a patrol truck, and other apparatus were housed here until the
new station opened.
Osterville Fire Station built c. 1926. Located at 999 Main Street in Osterville. The original
part of the fire station had a brick hose tower. That building had another bay added in the
1940s. The larger addition came in 1962. This station is still in use today.
Osterville Fire Station built c. 1926. Photo of 1950 Ford Engine 1 in front
of the old station. Photo c 1952.
Osterville Fire Station built c. 1926. Photo taken in 1938 shows first ever 1937
brush breaker, 1938 patrol truck, and 1926 Maxim pumper.
Osterville Fire Station built c. 1926. An early photo shows the 1937 brush breaker in front of
the Main Street station. Also shown are a 1924 Dodge patrol truck and 1938 Ford Patrol
Centerville Fire Station built c. 1926. The Centerville-Osterville Fire District built 2 stations
simultaneously in 1926. They were almost identical in design and function initially. The
Centerville station was located at 565 Main Street Centerville. It served until the new
Centerville station was opened in 1991.
Centerville Fire Station built c. 1926. The Centerville station was built on a hill side. The
station was added onto in the 1950s and again in the 1980s. The 3 lower bays faced
South Main Street by 4 Seas Ice Cream. It is presently a private residence.
Centerville Fire Station built c. 1926. Photo c. 1980s.
Centerville Fire Station built c. 1926. This photo of the old Centerville Fire
Station was taken in 1953. It shows the 1949 fomer crash truck brush breaker,
1944 Ford Engine 4, and 1950 Ford Engine 2. Also shown is a 1950 Ford
Marstons Mills Fire Station built c. 1975. A COMM Firefighter watched as the old
Marstons Mills Fire Station at 270 Route 149 was torn down in August 2003.
The new station was built to the right in front of the old one.
Marstons Mills Fire Station built c. 1975. The old Marstons Mills Fire Station served
as a call station from 1975 to 1999. In 1999, it was staffed 24 hrs a day with personnel.
After 4 years, the new fire station was built and opened.
Marstons Mills Fire Station built c. 1975. Photo c 2001.
Marstons Mills Fire Station built c. 1975.
Cotuit Fire Station built c. 1937. This station at 64 High Street in Cotuit was built in 1937.
It was added onto in the 1960s. The station was completely renovated in 1991.
Cotuit Fire Station built c. 1937. An old Cadillac ambulance and the 1967 Maxim
Engine 1 are on display at an open house c. 1967.
Cotuit Fire Station built c. 1937. This photo shows the Cotuit station with
all apparatus on display, including the 1916 Ford Model T (right), the 1954
Ford Engine 3, 1947 Dodge breaker, 1953 Ford Engine 2, and Cotuit's
first Cadillac ambulance.
Cotuit Fire Station being built in 1937. The new Cotuit fire station was built
on High Street behind the original Cotuit firehouse that had been moved to the
site from the Main Street location in 1929.
Cotuit Chemical Company No.1 built c. 1912. The original firehouse in Cotuit
was part of Ben Sears' hardware store before the Cotuit Chemical Company
rented it for a firehouse. The Cotuit Fire District assumed control of it in 1926
and moved it to a new site on High Street in 1929. It was replaced in 1937.
The old building was then sold and is a private garage in Cotuit today.
[ Prev ] [ Features ] [ Next ]
[ TOP ]